FINALLY!! Got back up to the property over the weekend. We were hoping the well guy could come out to view the property while we were there, but he is booked through the month. So we wait.
Instead, Michael worked on wiring the shed for electricity. We can now run lights and outlets with the generator, or just lights with truck battery. If/when we get the inverter then the battery will run the outlets so long as the draw isn’t too great.
Our next step is solar.
While Michael worked on wiring the shed, my son and I cleared more brush from around the cabin so we can expand our porch and make our outdoor “kitchen” a little nicer. We also added a privacy tent (blue item in background) with a bucket toilet. Whoot! Downright civilized!
This was the first time our son was able to come see the property. We walked the entire parcel while I explained all our plans and ideas. We also saw the familiar signs of our resident badger… still haven’t seen the badger yet. My son is already talking about putting a small cabin on the property for himself, as well. I am a happy mama for sure! 🙂
One thing I didn’t do so well this weekend was remember how brutal the sun is up here. It has been so long, and winter lulled me into a false sense of security. I received a fairly bad sunburn. Note to self: long sleeves and hats! Duh.
Items on our to do list for this year:
- Build a bunk and shelves inside shed.
- Build a corner counter/workbench in shed.
- Hook up solar to the shed.
- Get well dug and install solar powered well pump.
- Buy a cistern for the well.
- Buy or rent a tractor.
- Look into foundation for permanent home-site.
Let’s see how much we can get done before winter.
Our next trip up will hopefully be over 4th of July weekend and we can have 3 days up there to work.
To read other posts about our property see below.
- Reasons to Prep: What an “Average Day” Is REALLY Like When the SHTF – The Organic Prepper
- Property Update 6/17/17 – Let there be light…
- Alternative Heating Solutions
- Property Updates – 9/3-5/16
- Woodlot – Red Alder
- Property Updates – 7/29/2016
- Woodlot – Osage Orange
- Property Updates 7/1-7/4
- Property Herbal – Sand Lily
- Sagebrush – Property Herbal