Its getting to be winter here in California, and we are being left with an over abundance of green tomatoes. I posted recently about canning your left over green tomatoes. In addition to canning them we looked up some recipes for how people use green tomatoes, and then came up with this yummy dish.
There are several recipes out there for how to use your green tomatoes, but here is one I made myself. We made a large crock pot worth of this dish and it was well worth it. It is also a paleo recipe, but can be eaten over rice if you choose to. I just ate it like a stew. It was hearty and filling.
Green Tomato Curry - Paleo
- 5 medium green (under-ripe) tomatoes, cut into 1 inch peices
- 5-6 cups cubed boneless skinless chicken (I used precooked chicken breast)
- 5 cups tomato eggplant base
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 2 Japanese eggplant chopped
- 2-3 Jalapenos, cut into rings (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
DirectionsPlace all ingredients, except coconut milk, into large crock pot. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Add coconut milk and cook on low for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Eat plain or over rice.
Please let me know if you try this recipe, or if you have any other recipe suggestions using green tomatoes.