Power outages are on the rise and many are lasting longer than people think. What would you do if you lost power for a week? A month?
As of [one week later], around 80,000 South Australians were still without power. via South Australia’s blackout explained (and no, renewables aren’t to blame) | Australia news | The Guardian
While most power outages don’t last long enough to cause any real discomfort, the truth is our power grid is aging. We are having more and more outages each year, and they are lasting longer. At the same time, the cost of maintaining this old and failing infrastructure is increasing at a faster rate than we can keep up with.
Between 2000 and 2014, the number of reported power outages – including weather-related outages – rose across the entire country. Why? An aging infrastructure, combined with a growing population and more frequent extreme weather, are straining the electric grid. via Power Outages On The Rise Across The U.S.
It is very important folks start thinking about alternative power sources such as solar power, and gas or propane generators to get them through a long outage. Store extra candles, or fuel oil lamps for light. Think about alternative ways to keep warm. Most people’s jobs will not function without electricity.
Start asking yourself, “What part of your daily routine depends on electricity?”
- Refrigerator and Freezer
- Cook-top/Oven – Even if you have a gas stove or oven, the starter is most likely electric. Have long BBQ lighters handy.
- Clothes washer/Dryer – You will need an alternative method for washing and drying clothes.
- Hot water heater – Same problem as cook-tops. It may be gas, but has an electric starter.
- Furnace – Electric start again
- Air conditioning.
- House lights
- Security Alarms – Might have battery backup which can last a short while.
- Medical equipment – Oxygen concentration, blood pressure monitors, etc.
- Banks, ATM machines – Keep cash on-hand and extra in a safe hide-y hole.
(Feature image by David Mariuz/EPA)
Check here for more on preparedness:
- So this happened!!!
- Storage Run
- Apartment Prepping – A Creativity Challenge
- The Value of a Thing…
- Proper Battery Storage (aka How I Almost Lost My Home)
- Alternative Heating Solutions
- Preparedness Books
- My Bug Home Bag
- EDC – Every Day Carry Bag