- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 tsp beeswax
- 3 T baking soda
- 1/2 cup Corn Starch (or Arrowroot Powder)
- 2-3 capsules probiotics that don’t need to be refrigerated
- Optional: Essential oils of choice –
- I used about 13 drops of lavender and 13 drops Tea Tree essential oil
So.. placing the jar in a pot with about an inch of water, add the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil and heat until completely melted. Stirring frequently.
Quickly poor/spoon mixture into molds or deodorant stick containers. Allow to cool for several hours before using.
Recipe as listed above made 4 sticks and a little extra. The sticks stay molded, but they will not be as solid as store bought deodorant. You will need to only push up as much as you plan to use.
Purpose behind ingredients and Why it works!
Body odor is caused by bacteria which grows in the moist areas such as your under arms.
- Both coconut oil and the essential oils suggested have natural antibacterial qualities which keep these little buggers from growing and smelling.
- The essential oils also have a pleasant smell that is good in and of itself. 🙂
- Baking soda neutralizes the acids produced by the bacteria and help to maintain a normal PH under our arms which also controls smell
- Corn Starch or Arrowroot powder (or other starch) absorbs sweat as well as the toxins that exit your body in your sweat.
- Probiotics create a balance of beneficial bacteria to the body odor causing bacteria and help to maintain your body ph.
- Shea butter and beeswax help create the solid deodorant form.